Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cooking At Its Best





We just returned from Lubbock for the annual Chuckwagon Cook-off. This is certainly entertainment I married into and while we all enjoy it very much it is A LOT of work. Waking up at 5:30 in the morning, cooking until noon, and cleaning up until 9 makes for a long day. Aaron went on Thursday with Cody's dad and I came with Cody (his chuck wagon partner) and his mom on Friday after school. We got back into Abilene this morning and I was beat.


With 32 wagons there we were very pleased with our results from the cook-off. We got 3rd place with our dessert and 4th place in meats. Our dessert was apple cobbler and we were quite worried about it when they gave us the smallest fresh apples I've ever seen. (We usually get a huge can of peaches.) So we started the morning off by peeling apples for about an hour. Just what you want to do at 6:00 am by the light of a lantern. Our chicken fried steak was the best I've tasted in a while. I can say that because I had little part in that area. I try to get "jobs" doing something I can't really screwed up like peel potatoes or bread the chicken fries. I let the people that know what they are doing take on the breads and other things.


Here are some pictures of our fun!
Cody and Aaron getting out the cobbler.

Karen and I breading the chicken fried steaks.

3 comments:

rachelprice said...

That sounds like so much fun! Congrats on the wins! Yall need to do one close to us sometime so we can come and help!

Rachel said...

I meant to ask you beforehand if y'all were going to be here again this year. We didn't make it to the festivites at all this year...but it would have been good to see y'all!

terrye wilkes said...

I AM REALLY IMPRESSED!!! This is a new Kami...up at 5:30 on a Saturday morning after the first few weeks of school?!?! Must be love.
congrats on your winnings.. sounds delicious. We may need to wheel that wagon to Grapevine for the H family Christmas. How about it Aaron?